Exasperating

From time to time on Tuesdays, I will host a "piano class," rather than individual lessons. This is a time for all of my students to come at the same time, perform for each other, learn something together, and enjoy some treats. It gives them a chance to relax from the intensity of a one-on-one with me.

Yesterday was that day. As each student took her turn at the piano, I realized why this job is so stressful:

My teacher/student relationship with each one of them rests on my ability to determine just exactly how much disappointment is the right amount to show each week.

It's a tough balance, and I don't have it figured out. They want to be encouraged, but I can't encourage garbage. But if I show my true feelings about their lack of progress, they burst into tears. And then, on the very rare occasion when one of them does have a good week at the piano, I'm so over-the-top enthused that they think they've mollified me and can slack off for a few weeks.

It makes my head want to explode.

Comments

cool mum said…
ooh...sounds rough. I feel for you, and as a former slacker piano kid I can also relate! Piano lessons are just tough all around.

I was one of those weirdo kids that would be breaking into tears while playing a song I knew I hadn't practiced...that was without the piano teacher even saying one word or even showing that he cared that I hadn't practiced! Something about the idea of practicing was so repulsive as an elementary and middle schooler...even though I liked playing in general. It's a mystery to me.
Amy said…
I think that's part of the frustration! I, too, was a piano slacker who, somewhere in high school, stopped living up to my "piano potential," and my teacher, who is now my daughter's teacher and a very dear friend, always let me know that I wasn't meeting her goals for me - which, in high school, did not line up with my goals for me.

So part of me wants to give these girls a break, and part of me wants to grab them by their Roxy girl pigtails and shake them.

Popular posts from this blog

The Gospel According to Daddy Warbucks

Block the Door

Where is Mister Rogers When You Need Him?